I haven’t posted much to the website lately, as my time has been dedicated to wrapping up some assessments and getting report cards ready to roll out tomorrow. Also, our pre-service teacher in English 421, Louise Gullander, has begun teaching, so I have let her take the reigns for a bit. Posts may become more sporadic, but I will post summaries and reminders a few times a week, so keep checking in.
REMINDER: Parent teacher interviews will be held at Colonel Gray tomorrow, Thursday, November 19th from 6:15pm-9:00pm and Friday, November 20th from 9:00am -1:00pm. I encourage all parents to come and meet with their child’s teachers. If you are unable to make it to interviews, but want some clarification on report card comments, please email me: email@example.com.
- We have put silent reading time in class on hold to accommodate sharing of student illustrated poems. (However, students should maintain their reading at home.) Students have been viewing the poems and providing compliments and suggestions for improvements to their peers.
- Our pre-service teacher a begun an introductory unit to drama study. She has been introducing students to terminology, concepts, scrips and some acting games. The first task for students is to select a film or play to critique. They must bring their selection to class for Monday, November 23 for approval.
- We have been polishing up the writing assignment for independent novels, and preparing for the upcoming book talk sharing on Thursday. We have been working on fulfilling speaking outcomes by doing more sharing aloud in class.
- We are also working on pre-reading activities for the upcoming class novel study – Shattered. We watched The Pursuit of Happyness, and students are responding to the question: What comment does the movie make about what it means to be human? We are also discussing some of the anticipation guide questions that target some of the major topics we will encounter in the novel.
Hello parents and students,
I have taken Monday and Tuesday off this week to spend with my family, and one day to study curriculum. I have a very capable substitute in for me working with students. If there are any questions or concerns while I am out, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I will try to check email regularly and respond promptly.
Here’s the plan for the next two days:
- Students will spend one more class period in the library, working on their illustrated poetry assignments. This assignment MUST be submitted to Mrs. Charlton in class on Thursday.
- Students should maintain their independent reading, whenever possible. However, there will not be a novel reflection due this week – more to come on this on Thursday.
- Students will be working through an in-class poetry activity on mood. They will be asked to apply the lesson to revising their poetry assignment.
- Students will be working on some pre-reading activities as an introduction to the novel Shattered, including viewing the movie The Pursuit of Happyness, with a written response.
Have a great couple of days, and take time to reflect, on Remembrance Day, for all that veterans have and continue to do to ensure we have rights and freedoms in Canada, and to reflect on all that still needs to occur to ensure peace around the world.
Good day students. To be poetic, here’s the scoop on why I am not with you:
My little one, innocently unaware
Awoke with a gasp in the wee hours of the morning
To find the nasty, relentless flu virus
Had possessed his little being and left him
stranded, in puddles of his own vomit.
If this sounds gross – imagine being me during the night, having to deal with this mess, and one sweet, sick little boy. Our household got little sleep, and today we will battle this virus, trying to avoid infecting all of us.
Mr. Dohoo is in with you today. Here is the scoop for all my classes:
- You will be working independently in the library on your illustrated poetry assignment. You can use Mr. Dohoo and Ms. Gullander for support.
- Remember that you have a novel reflection due today on the specific prompt: What connections can you make between the topics and issues in your book and your life/ your world. Your responses should be submitted via google classroom, if at all possible. The passcodes for google classroom are as follows: Block A – 6sfpze Block B – c71nq75 . If you cannot submit via the classroom, then submit a written/printed copy to Mr. Dohoo.
- Have a great class. I am out next Monday and Tuesday, and Ms, Kennedy will be in with you again. You have another period in the library on Monday, and I have a poetry activity planned for Tuesday that should help you in revising your own poem. I will see you again next Thursday, after Remembrance day.
- I am so sorry to miss our planned show and tell today. As a class, you can make a decision whether you want to go ahead with the show and tell, and have a classmate videotape your presentation on his/her cellphone, or whether you would prefer to postpone until next week.
- I booked the Chromebooks for today, so you can continue working on your independent novel assignment – the slideshow with limited text, and your written component that responds to 5 different sections. If you don’t have a copy of the assignment, open the file on this website. It’s under the English 431 page. When completed, these items should be submitted via Google classroom. The passcode for this class is – crijkvu They are due today.
- Have a great class. Be respectful, and work hard to complete and submit your work.